Here is our list of businesses, schools, blogs, books, research and other resources that keep us inspired every day! Please contact us if you would like to add your business or product or you think we have missed a resource.
- Nature Play Queensland - Access to many free nature play resources including Passports to an Amazing Childhood, Licences to Play, 33 Things to do before you are 3.
- Nature Play SA - A not-for-profit organisation that started in 2014 with start-up funding from the South Australian Government. Their vision is simple – to get more children outside playing in nature. In their backyards, local parks and wilder places, like National Parks.
- Nature Play WA - Is an incorporated not-for-profit association established to increase the time Western Australian children spend in unstructured play outdoors and in nature.
- Nature Detectives - Most useful particularly for Early Childhood. Contains themed packs and you can sign up for a weekly email full of new lesson ideas.
- Forest Schools - Inside the resources section this has a series of weekly plans for sessions regarding the transition to KS3, Maths in the Forest, and some relevant topic modules which have been taken outside.
- NRich Maths - Outdoor Mathematics ideas
- Natures Classroom - Lesson ideas broken down into seasons.
- Teachers Education Service (TES) - Most suitable for Early Childhood
- YAS - A great simple break down of activities and what you need to get started when running Forest School activities with Early Years Children
- Forest School Association
- Forestry- For support with providing research benefits to colleagues and parents
- Environmental Law - useful links for understanding laws and regulations in the US
- Jitterberry - Respectful Parenting
- Happiness is Here - Respectful Parenting
- Racheous - Respectful Parenting
- Mulberry Magazine - Homeschooling magazine
- Unschooling Downunder - Advice and networking for Australian Unschooling families
- Start Homeschooling Australia - Advice on how to start Homeschooling for Australian families
- Australian Homeschool Network - A network for Australian Homeschooling families
- Home Education Network Australia - A network for Australian Homeschooling families
- Sunny Homeschool/Unschool - A network for Homeschooling families on the Sunshine Coast, QLD
- Our Aussie Homeschool - A Austrlian Homeschooling blog
- Teacher Tom - A blog about the only employee of the Woodland Park Cooperative preschool
- The Milk Meg - Lactation consultant, breast feeding advice, attachment parenting
- Pinky McKay - Lactation consultant, breast feeding advice, attachment parenting
- Aha Parenting - Attachment and Peaceful Parenting
- Peaceful Parent Happy Kids - Attachment, Respectful and Peaceful Parenting
- Parenting for a Peaceful World - Peaceful Parenting
- Attachment Parenting 24/7 - Attachment and Peaceful Parenting
- Attachment Parenting International - Attachment and Peaceful Parenting
- The Natural Resourcer - Purchase natural resources such as gumnuts, wooden discs etc.
- Home Science - A great backyard science page to inspire children to become conservationists starting in their backyard.
LOCAL (SUNSHINE COAST) BUSH KINDY PROGRAMS (OTHER THAN US)
- Nature Weavers - Carly is a wealth of knowledge and started the first Forest School on the Sunshine Coast in 2010. She runs a Playgroup, Bush Kinder, Home School and Holiday Programs on her magnificent property in Black Mountain and also consults and runs workshops across Australia.
ALTERNATIVE EDUCATION PROVIDERS, SUNSHINE COAST, QLD
- Ananda Marga River School - Neohumanist - ECC - Year 6.
The super qualified and uber generous staff at the river school have been running a magnificent Forest School ECC program on the river for years and is the place where we were first inspired to start our own program!
- Blackall Range Independent School - P-12
- Montessori International College - P-12
- Noosa-Pengari Steiner School - P-6
- Maleny Independent School 7-12
RESEARCH ON THE BENEFITS OF FOREST SCHOOL
- Improved behaviour at Forest Kindy
- An investigation into the benefits of Forest School interventions for young people with ADHD in the education system.
- Forest school: evidence for restorative health benefits in young people
- Impacts of Long Term Forest School Programmes on Children’s Resilience, Confidence and Wellbeing
- Investigating the effectiveness of Forest School sessions on children’s physical activity levels
- Forest School: A Marvellous Opportunity to Learn
- Improvements in the children's confidence, motivation and concentration, language and communication and physical skills were recorded by teachers and Forest School leaders.
- Forest School and its impacts on young children: Case studies in Britain
- Outdoor learning spaces: The case of forest school
- Forest Schools in Great Britain: an initial exploration
- The Benefits of a Forest School Experience for Children in their early years [PDF]
- Forest Guide with links to Research
http://www.langley.bham.sch.uk/pdfs/forest-guide.pdfRESEARCH ON BEING IN & CREATING NATURE & GREENSPACES
- Exploring the Relations Between Childhood Experiences in Nature and Young Adults’ Environmental Attitudes and Behaviours
- Green schoolyards offer physical and mental health benefits for children
- Seven Cs Findings: making outdoor play spaces places
- Kids more active, less depressed when playgrounds include natural elements
http://news.ubc.ca/2016/04/11/kids-more-active-less-depressed-when-playgrounds-include-natural-elements/RESEARCH ON RISKY PLAY
- Landscapes for play: Effects of an intervention to promote nature-based risky play in early childhood centres
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0272494417301512RESEARCH ON DEPRESSION
- The Association Between Natural Environments and Depressive Symptoms in Adolescents Living in the United States
RESEARCH ON SCREENTIME
- Children’s screen time. From Growing Up in Australia: The Longitudinal Study of Australian Children, 2015 Repor
- Prospective associations between toddler televiewing and subsequent lifestyle habits in adolescence
- Handheld screen time linked with speech delays in young children
- Daily touchscreen use in infants and toddlers is associated with reduced sleep and delayed sleep onset
https://www.nature.com/articles/srep46104RESEARCH ON HELICOPTER PARENTING
- Helping parents to support children to safely travel and play outside independently as they grow.